Total Pageviews

12/28/2011

North of Nowhere

Dust
swirls around the cool evening air
as a pickup truck passes me
on the lonely dirt road.

The driver waves
and smiles;
his dark glasses reflecting the setting sun.

I greet back – lips tugging upward -
and pat my dog.
Life is good today.

Somewhere in the distance
I hear coyotes
hollering their pack together
waiting
for the cover of night.

The scent of fresh-cut grass
fills the air and I thank god
 - for mosquito spray -
as I am nearing the outskirts
of the forest.

As I turn back towards the ranch,
I can see the horses
peacefully grazing in the pasture;
the proud colors of the stallion
shimmer between lush green trees.

The setting sun illuminates everything
in a soft, red light.
Even the mosquitos
look magical today.

I raise my hand to greet
yet another truck driver rushing by
and my eyes follow his dust trail
into the west.

My lips are still smiling.

Some people might feel lost out here
- but I think I’ve just found my way back home…

No comments:

Post a Comment